Friday, August 12, 2011

How Blessed We Are

During my pregnancy, I joined an online group of other mothers with babies due in April.  We’ve since started keeping in touch on Face Book.

One mommy has a daughter, also named Charlotte, who has been in the hospital since May 28th.   She is suffering from congenital lymphangiomatosis and, as I type this post, is currently undergoing surgery.  So far it’s going well, but Cheryl was told the surgery will last anywhere from 6 - 10 hours!  And, as with all major surgeries, there’s a chance her Charlotte won’t make it.   I can’t begin to imagine how they must feel.

Some friends of ours recently had a little boy who was born with a heart defect.  The chambers of his heart hadn’t fully developed before he was born.  He spent his first few weeks in the NICU.  He is now home, but is still on a heart monitor and I think has some sort of oxygen system.  In the near future, he will have the first of many heart surgeries.

Sometimes I forget how truly blessed we are to have a healthy baby girl.  I usually forget around 2 AM when I’m getting up for the 3rd time to feed her, or when she is clearly tired but fighting her nap, or when she decides to bite down with her gums and pull while nursing.  It doesn’t really take long for me to get back to our happy place, but I feel bad that I still need to remind myself how much easier we have it than many others.

Our little girl will be 4 months old in 2 weeks.  We are truly blessed to have her and I hope, pray, implore the universe that I get to spend many more months to come with our fabulous little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment