Tuesday, August 23, 2011

One Year Ago…

I’m about a week late on this post, but whatever, I’m a working mom.  Cut me some slack.  Warning - Not for the TMI opposed.

August 16, 2010 will forever be known to me as “The Day I Peed On A Stick And Almost Pooped My Pants.”

I was scheduled for an appointment with a new chiropractor, and according to Chad, may have an x-ray as part of the initial appointment.  At this point we had only been “trying” for a couple of weeks, but I thought, better take a test just to be safe.  So, that fateful morning, I got up and proceeded to get ready for work as I normally do, but added in that lovely little stick.  After reading the directions twice for good measure, I did exactly as it said.  Then, I sat there for what should have been 2 minutes of wait time, to see what I thought would be a single blue line.  It didn’t take two minutes.  Actually less than one.  “Ummm, wait.  That’s two lines.  I thought two lines was positive.”  I read the instructions and description again.  Yep, two lines meant positive.  I was in a bit of shock, to say the least.  It was like somebody had glued my rear to the seat.  I couldn’t move, and it was probably a good thing because my legs were shaking.  I wasn’t sure if I wanted to cry or laugh.  I did a little of both.  Then I took the stick into the spare bathroom and took a picture of it.  I know, that’s weird.  But I wanted to be able to show Chad that night (I wasn’t going to wake him up yet) and I wasn’t sure if it would change or discolor, I’d never taken a home pregnancy test before.  

I didn’t wake Chad up with the news because I had already planned out the creative way I wanted to tell him.  For those that don’t know, Chad has an extreme aversion to smells, mostly in the morning or after he’s finished eating.  Sometimes he gags just thinking of smells.  To me, it’s pretty funny most of the time, and annoying every once in a while.  It’s because of this aversion that I’ve always joked that we would need to get him a gas mask when we had a baby.  And that’s what I wanted to do.  I was going to go to Home Depot on my lunch break and buy a painter’s mask to give to him when I got home.

Unfortunately, we had stuff come up that day, so I was unable to tell him the way I wanted to as he had to go out of town.  I wasn’t sure how long he would be gone, and I wasn’t sure I could wait.  So I talked him into trading cars with me before he left and I just told him in the parking lot at work.  That’s not nearly as fun as what I had planned, but it is what it is.  If we decide to have a second, I may be able to use mask idea.

Then again, by that point, I may have come up with something even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment