Tuesday, March 1, 2011

It's Getting a Bit More Real Now…

We had our Labor and Delivery Tour of Northside Hospital last night.  That was an adventure in itself, then add in the bad weather on the way there and I think it’s safe to say I was a bit frazzled when we arrived.  (Don’t ask Chad, though.  I’m sure he would use different words to describe my mood / attitude.)

The directions to where we were supposed to meet were somewhat incorrect so we ended up at St. Joseph’s Hospital first.  Luckily we were a bit early and still managed to find the correct hospital.  Unfortunately, we parked on the fully opposite side of where we were supposed to be and had to wind our way through the main portion to find the Women’s Center on the other side.  While on our trek through the hospital to find out starting point for the tour, we did manage to find the cafeteria and McDonald’s.  Good for Chad to know while we’re sitting around waiting for the Big Show.

Once the tour actually started, they showed us the Baby Boutique and A Woman’s Place Boutique.  The Baby Boutique is pretty self explanatory.  A Woman’s Place is a small store that sells anything and everything a mom-to-be could want at the hospital but forgot to pack.  Let’s hope I remember the few things I really want.  (That reminds me, I need to start my list.)  There are vending machines, phones, restrooms, a small café, and a newspaper stand also in the same area.  The tour guide mentioned that some people like to buy a news paper on the day their child was born as a keepsake of the day.  That makes me wonder how much stuff will I start hoarding and how much I will actually look back on.

The second part of the tour directed us to the driveway that Chad will be speeding down to let me out at the doors as well as the entrance a little farther down for family and friends when they arrive.  I promise I’ll give better directions than the hospital’s website.  (When leaving after the tour, we drove around to the entrance to make sure we know how to get to both driveways.)

The “meat” of the tour came next.  We were shown the VERY large and comfy Labor and Delivery room.  All lights can be dimmed if Mom wants that during labor.  There is a glider to use during labor, very comfy.  The bed adjusts in 1800 ways, good to know.  There is a TV and DVD player in every room for distractions.  Some of the rooms have  There is a full shower in the attached bathroom, and includes a bathtub.  (I peeked into the bathroom to see what it looked like before we moved on.  Not sure who they expect to fit in the “full sized tub” to help relax during labor.  I would consider it more of a half sized tub.  Looks like I’ll only be showering if I want hydrotherapy to relax.)  There is no hospital limit to the number of people that can stop by and visit during my time in this room.  There will definitely be a Me limit on the number of people in the room, especially as labor progresses.  I prefer to not relive The Exorcist with a large crowd.

The Recovery room wasn’t quite as large, but it was private.  There was a bench for Dad, but I’m not sure it work for anything other than sitting on.  Hopefully, we’ll be allowed to bring one of our blue camping lounge chairs.  The recommend Baby rooming in with Mom while there.   They only take Baby to the nursery for the initial “tests” or if requested by the parents.  I’m told I should take advantage of this the first night as I won’t get anymore sleep.  But as a first time mommy, I’m not sure I want Nuggette to sleep anywhere but in my room.  I know I’ll be exhausted, but I also know I’ll have a lot of adrenaline for a while.  Just another aspect I’ll have to play by ear.

One good thing that we found on both the L&D floor and the Recovery floor were the “Pantries.”  Small kitchenettes where we can store snacks for Dad or popsicles for Mom.  Chad and I have an agreement that he’s not allowed to eat anything that I can smell when I’m not allowed to eat.  :o)  That just might make me cranky.

The last stop on the tour was the nursery.  There was one Itty Bitty being tested and measured.  That made it all sink in a bit more.  In about 7 weeks, our little Nuggette will be the little pink Itty Bitty on that scale.

A little scary and way exciting at the same time.  Always an adventure.

4 comments:

  1. Geez...it's getting soooo close. Can't wait to get the call to get there! Love to you both. Chad, be brave and know that the hormones will calm down in a bit. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your post. Thanks. Also, I think that it was really well done. I like your writing style... maybe you should consider expanding your writing to other areas, too.
    Love you,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you remember going to the hospital with me when Shauna was in labor? What an experience! Paige will be 18 years old this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are almost there! If it helps, we actually had Alex stay in the nursery the first night (though it was midnight before I got to the ICU recovery room...I had to have a Mag drip and had a c-section, so it will most likely be a bit different for you). Though he technically stayed in the nursery, he was down in our room most of the night it seemed like. they would bring him every 2 hours to eat (he stayed about an hour before they would come get him again). So really, I was getting an hour sleep, they would bring him in to eat, he would leave and I would get an hour sleep. Not sure it was really all that different from when he roomed in with us the other nights. Yay! I'm excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete