Monday, February 7, 2011

Class - Part 1

After considering all the advise we got from numerous new parents who’ve delivered at our hospital, Chad and I decided to go ahead and take the class.  We figured if it really didn’t seem worth it to go back for the second day, we didn’t really have to.  My worry was playing the “what if” game at the hospital when I had no clue what to expect, at least this way I can say we tried.  No longer called Lamaze class, it’s still the same basic idea (I’m guessing).  A group of couples go to the class to get an idea of what to expect come D-Day, practice a few relaxation techniques, a few breathing techniques, etc.  The class is generally 8 hours and can be taken a number of ways – 1 full day of class, 2 four hour classes, 4 two hour classes, or 8 one hour classes.  We figured the 2 day class would be best for us since Chad’s work schedule is usually up in the air, and so as not to burn ourselves out with 8 straight hours.

Yesterday was Day 1.

Yes, we were both aware we were scheduling the class on Super Bowl Sunday, but I did check kick off time before I registered.  We didn’t have a team in the game and the class was scheduled to end at 5 PM, with kickoff at 6:30.  For some reason, I still found it interesting that the class was full (10 couples total).  I guess I figured we were the only ones that would schedule this for Super Bowl Sunday.

The class was better than we expected.  Yes, we went over a lot of stuff that Chad and I had already learned through books and websites, but we also picked up a few tidbits we didn’t have.  I was really happy that the instructor had been an Ob/Gyn nurse at the hospital where we’re delivering.  She had helpful information that I don’t think we would have gotten otherwise.  “When they offer you [x], whether you plan on using it or not, just take it.  You’ll get to take it home with you afterward.”  “Don’t bother bringing anything that plugs into the wall that will directly be used on Mom (like heating pads), the approval process is so long, it probably won’t get to you until after Baby is born.”  And yes, I’m sure some of this we’ll hear at the hospital when we take the tour, but I like that I have the chance to start making my list early.

At one point, we were all supposed to practice one of the relaxation techniques.  Mom lays on her left side and tenses certain parts of her body.  Then Dad is supposed to massage that part to help Mom relax that muscle.  Most of the Dads laughed and mocked this part of the class, Chad included.  In fact, his response was, “I’m all for doing this at the hospital, I just feel stupid doing it right now.”  My answer to that: “As long has you knows that’s your job when we get there, this is the main reason you’ll be in the delivery room: to help me relax and remain calm; to rub my shoulders, arms, legs, feet, whatever it takes; and to keep the medical staff alive and on our side, then I’m ok with not practicing here with all these strangers.”  How quickly the Dads’ attitudes changed when the instructor calls for us to switch positions – Dads on the mat while Moms massage them.  For some reason, it was ok for us to practice on them, it wasn’t stupid at all.

One important thing I learned is that Northside Hospital has a policy that prohibits you from getting out of bed after receiving an epidural.  This only reinforces my desire to not have one.  If I know I can’t move, my body automatically fells like it must.  I prefer the choice of using the glider and the birthing ball.  I’d like to walk the halls if I feel up to it.  This is more important to me because I don’t know what position I’ll feel the most comfortable in.  I won’t really know how I’ll feel until I get there, but I don’t like to limit my options.

I tell myself this is something mental that has to do with claustrophobia.  But then again, maybe it’s just an innate dislike of people telling me what I can and cannot do.  Either way, I’m still good with my decision to try without an epidural.  But, this could all change next Sunday with the second half of the class.

2 comments:

  1. It's good to keep an open mind. Especially around professionals.. as opposed to, say... sombody you barely know from the office.
    Whenever I'm in a hospital situation (several times, lately) my motto is: Co-operate and Graduate!
    Love you,
    dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know where you get the not wanting to be paralyzed/tied to a bed thing. Did I tell you about your dad getting up to pee in the cardiac ICU????? They told him he had to stay in bed as well...He told them what they could do with that....I agree, keep your options open, and do what feels right to you! Love, Winnie

    ReplyDelete